<%- data.texts.loaderText %>
8 tips for healthy eating
The Eatwell Guide
Food labelling terms
Reference intakes on food labels
Starchy foods and carbohydrates
Dairy and alternatives
Meat in your diet
Fish and shellfish
The healthy way to eat eggs
Beans and pulses
Water, drinks and your health
Eating processed foods
5 A Day portion sizes
5 A Day recipes
5 A Day tips
5 A Day and your family
5 A Day on the go
5 A Day on a budget
5 A Day FAQs
School Fruit and Vegetable Scheme
Salt: the facts
Sugar: the facts
Top sources of added sugar
What does 100 calories look like?
Red meat and the risk of bowel cancer
What is a Mediterranean diet?
How to store food and leftovers
10 ways to prevent food poisoning
Why you should never wash raw chicken
How to wash fruit and vegetables
The truth about sweeteners
Sprouted seeds safety advice
Surprising 100-calorie snacks
Chilli con carne
Easy Italian chicken
Hearty vegetable soup
Mediterranean beef pasta
Tomato pasta sauce
Tasty and rich, this easy-to-make tomato sauce is great with pasta, and can be made in advance and reheated. It's low in salt and fat, and is suitable for vegetarians too.
- Serves: 2
- Time: 35 minutes
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- a pinch of mixed dried herbs
- pepper to taste
- 210g dry wholewheat pasta
- Heat the oil in a saucepan or frying pan. Cook the onion on a medium heat until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Make sure the pan is not too hot when you add the garlic, as it burns easily and will make the sauce taste bitter.
- Add the tin of chopped tomatoes, tomato purée and mixed herbs.
- Simmer gently for 15 minutes until the sauce is thick and rich.
- Add pepper to taste.
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions, mix in with the sauce and serve topped with fresh herbs.
Add a tin of tuna or some sliced vegetables to the sauce at step 3. Try mushrooms, peppers or courgettes.
Pour the sauce over fish fillets and bake in the oven at 180C (gas mark 4) for 15 to 20 minutes.
Use the sauce as a pizza topping. Just sprinkle with grated reduced-fat cheese and your favourite vegetables.
|Nutrient||Per 100g||Per 460g serving|
|(of which sugars)||2.5g||11.5g|
|(of which saturates)||0.1g||0.4g|
Be aware that:
- this recipe contains wheat (gluten)
- some pasta contains egg, so always check the label
- some tomato purées contain wheat
Food safety tips
- always wash your hands, work surfaces, utensils and chopping boards before you start preparing food
- wash or peel raw vegetables before use, as this will help clean them and remove any harmful bacteria that might be on the outside