<%- data.texts.loaderText %>
8 tips for healthy eating
The Eatwell Guide
Food labelling terms
Reference intakes on food labels
Starchy foods and carbohydrates
Dairy and alternatives
Meat in your diet
Fish and shellfish
The healthy way to eat eggs
Beans and pulses
Water, drinks and your health
Eating processed foods
5 A Day portion sizes
5 A Day recipes
5 A Day tips
5 A Day and your family
5 A Day on the go
5 A Day on a budget
5 A Day FAQs
School Fruit and Vegetable Scheme
Salt: the facts
Sugar: the facts
Top sources of added sugar
What does 100 calories look like?
Red meat and the risk of bowel cancer
What is a Mediterranean diet?
How to store food and leftovers
10 ways to prevent food poisoning
Why you should never wash raw chicken
How to wash fruit and vegetables
The truth about sweeteners
Sprouted seeds safety advice
Surprising 100-calorie snacks
Chilli con carne
Easy Italian chicken
Hearty vegetable soup
Mediterranean beef pasta
Tomato pasta sauce
A zesty dish, not to be confused with our lemon chicken recipe. Try serving this with brown rice and some green beans.
- Serves: 2
- Time: 45 minutes
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 dessert spoon wholemeal flour
- ½ red pepper, sliced
- juice of 1 orange, or 75ml unsweetened orange juice plus 25ml water
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1-2 medium potatoes, cubed
- chopped parsley (optional)
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 130g brown rice, uncooked
Heat the oil in a pan and brown the onion over a low heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
Cut the chicken breast into large pieces and coat each piece in the flour. Then add the chicken to the pan and brown for 2 minutes, stirring all the time to make sure it doesn't stick.
Once the chicken is cooked, add the other ingredients. Then bring it to the boil, turn the heat down and simmer over a low heat for about 20 minutes, until the vegetables are soft and the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
Meanwhile, cook the rice according to packet instructions.
|Nutrient||Per 100g||Per 621g serving|
|(of which sugars)||1.7g||10.7g|
|(of which saturates)||0.3g||2g|
This recipe contains wheat (gluten).
Food safety tips
- always wash your hands, work surfaces, utensils and chopping boards before you start and after handling raw meat, including poultry
- keep raw meat away from ready-to-eat foods such as salad, fruit and bread
- make sure that the chicken is cooked until steaming hot all the way through, that no pink meat is left and that any juices run clear
- cook the rice as required and use immediately, or cool within 1 hour, refrigerate, then use within 24 hours. When you reheat any rice, always check the dish is steaming hot all the way through. Do not reheat rice more than once