<%- data.texts.loaderText %>
8 tips for healthy eating
The Eatwell Guide
Food labelling terms
Reference intakes on food labels
Starchy foods and carbohydrates
Dairy and alternatives
Meat in your diet
Fish and shellfish
The healthy way to eat eggs
Beans and pulses
Water, drinks and your health
Eating processed foods
5 A Day portion sizes
5 A Day recipes
5 A Day tips
5 A Day and your family
5 A Day on the go
5 A Day on a budget
5 A Day FAQs
School Fruit and Vegetable Scheme
Salt: the facts
Sugar: the facts
Top sources of added sugar
What does 100 calories look like?
Red meat and the risk of bowel cancer
What is a Mediterranean diet?
How to store food and leftovers
10 ways to prevent food poisoning
Why you should never wash raw chicken
How to wash fruit and vegetables
The truth about sweeteners
Sprouted seeds safety advice
Surprising 100-calorie snacks
Chilli con carne
Easy Italian chicken
Hearty vegetable soup
Mediterranean beef pasta
Tomato pasta sauce
A spicy delight served with rice and relish to satisfy even the most demanding curry fan. This recipe is a good source of protein and carbs, and low in salt and fat.
- Serves: 2
- Time: 55 minutes
- 200g stewing beef or beef-style soya pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 pepper, finely chopped
- 1 carrot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp mango chutney
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 130g brown basmati rice, uncooked
Chop the beef into 2cm cubes.
Brown the beef in a pan over a low heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the chopped pepper, carrot and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often to stop it from sticking. Add a little water if necessary.
Add the curry powder and stir well to mix.
Add tomatoes, mango chutney and tomato purée. Simmer gently for 20 minutes, adding more water if necessary.
Cook rice according to the packet instructions and serve.
|Nutrient||Per 100g||Per 581g serving|
|(of which sugars)||3.1g||18.2g|
|(of which saturates)||0.5g||2.9g|
This recipe may contain soya.
Food safety tips
- always wash your hands, work surfaces, utensils and chopping boards before you start preparing food and after handling raw meat
- keep raw meat away from ready-to-eat foods such as salad, fruit and bread
- any leftovers should be cooled within 2 hours and frozen, or placed in the fridge for up to 2 days
- when reheating, always make sure the dish is steaming hot all the way through before serving
- never reheat food more than once
- leftover rice should be cooled and refrigerated within 1 hour and used within 24 hours