<%- data.texts.loaderText %>
Vitamins and minerals
Vitamins and minerals are nutrients your body needs in small amounts to work properly and stay healthy.
Most people should get all the nutrients they need by having a varied and balanced diet, although some few people may need to take extra supplements.
What this guide covers
This guide has information about:
- vitamin A
- B vitamins and folic acid
- vitamin C
- vitamin D
- vitamin E
- vitamin K
- other vitamins and minerals – including beta-carotene, copper, potassium and zinc
Use these links to find out what these nutrients do, how much of them you need, how to ensure you get enough, and what the risks are if you take too much.
There are separate pages on:
- vitamins for children
- vitamins, supplements and nutrition in pregnancy
- Do I need to take vitamin supplements?
- Supplements: who needs them? (PDF, 8Mb) – a special report looking at the evidence for and against dietary supplements